Eylanda

Fjarst í eilífðar útsæ
vakir eylendan þín
Far in the eternal yonder sea
your island wakes.

-Stephan Stephansson

Delivered (by a swan)


Delivered

eye sea time
when the swans
climb the ledge

each morning
born again


This is my final 'hands' installation in Iceland. Its made from swan feathers I collected in the fields on my walks, 35 pairs of my hands cut out, and a silver lined net I hand knit.

The 'Hands' installations started as a representation of the 70 helping hands of the many people who helped make it possible to come to BAER. I had promised some of the last donors a handmade postcard from Iceland. On my airplane trip out here I thought; "I don't want to make representations of Iceland on a postcard, I want to give them a piece of Iceland and an experience. I want to put their hands where I place mine." When I arrived I had no idea where to begin. The spaciousness of Baer overwhelmed me physically and psychologically. On the second day I decided to start where I thought I would end, making the postcards. The hands became a godsend. They immediately where more then a postcard, they became my wings. I have often looked down into my hands and marvelled at how they look like a birds wing (go ahead, look down, put your thumb against your other fingers and there is your wing!) And so, that was the beginning of my work here.

I'm not sure I'm ready to properly summarize my experience here, as I think there is going to be quite a bit more that will continue on. (I have sooooooo much more work to show you-even just more about this last installation!) I would say being at BAER has been searching, discovering and a mighty delivery.

PS. I love how some of these pictures have the string visible. It's important to know that I don't manipulate my images, they are as seen through the camera. I believe we can still see and find amazing things with our eyes alone.