Eylanda

Fjarst í eilífðar útsæ
vakir eylendan þín
Far in the eternal yonder sea
your island wakes.

-Stephan Stephansson

Mapping Place, Past & Present. Day 2. Attack of the Birds.


This day was full of humor from the gods.  Odin, Freyia, Thor? It was a day of opposites or splits.  Started out with sun and ended with hail.  One hour of mapping tells it all.




Day 2

#1 3:21pm
I remember sitting here my first day, then, wondering how would I or could I paint this?  I remember falling in love with the sparkles towards the end of the trip and promising to return.  Today the sun is shining and casting starlight on the water.  I feel safe.  I enjoy the screaming birds.

#2 3:42pm
Sat listening.  Feeling the wind and sun on my face.  Looking at the stripes of blues and beige.  Thinking how to slow down, to stay here.

***At this point my measuring yarn broke
#3 3:54
My swan clock.  The daily crossing ritual.  Today a different birds wing marks my path.

4# 4:02
Discovered this little soft spot.  Protected by the small hill.  Peaceful sounds. HARK!  BATTLE CRY!

5# 4:14
Noticing the perfect mosaic of stone in the black sand.

6# 4:18
These beautiful orange rocks, lapping water.

7# 4:21
When deciding which rock to bring back, I look down and see this heart rock.


8# 4:42
The cracking earth.  It's begun to rain.

***Field Notes

It started out sunny with beautiful bird song.  The bird song became battle cries and I had to be vigilant against attack.  I found two pieces of drift wood that acted as both clubs, and musical instruments.  I found a wing of this type of angry bird, known as Kria, (or arctic tern), at the same point that my swans used to cross.  I collected two heart shaped rocks.  My string broke, leaving only time to measure distance.  Returning back it began to hail.  I wondered, "Am I boring?"  I wonder now, "Who invented mapping?  What did early maps look like? What did they map?  Do we follow a predestined trail? Do we map to find our way backwards? Is every piece of advice and every biography a map?

I think the only map to follow is one unseen but known by heart.



This map is in the form of the Kria Instruments.