Eylanda

Fjarst í eilífðar útsæ
vakir eylendan þín
Far in the eternal yonder sea
your island wakes.

-Stephan Stephansson

Mapping Points in Place, Past & Present. Day 1.






I began a new project that I am calling for now, 'Points of Past and Present'.  It is a map, or rather many maps made in to one larger map.  I am revisiting the points in place (here at Baer) that were meaningful to me in 2011.  Each day I set out to a site or area from the past, and I mark both the places then, and now, that call my attention.  I observe the memories, the feelings, and present thoughts, as well as the actual environment.  As I move between these points, I measure the space traveled in time, and physical distance, by using Icelandic wool yarn and my iphone.  I am documenting the experiences with photography, audio recording, writing and video.  I also am collecting treasures on the way.

Since this project is like all my work, with no clear ending known until I arrive...I do not yet know what the maps form will be.  I am trusting the same process that led me to begin following my dream--which is simply heartlistening.  A word I was given here in Iceland in 2011.  The word describes the process of listening with your heart. 

Today I was reminded that the heart is the only true guide to follow.  We each set our own course, and create our own map, perhaps as a way to find our way back in the future?